Some vegetables are more popular than others, but that’s not why the least known or used ones are less nutritious or tasty. Within that category we have the zucchini or zucchini that has many properties and as soon as you discover how beneficial it is for your health, you will surely incorporate it into your list of favorites.
Zucchini is native to Central America and was already cultivated in what is now Mexico and Guatemala in the Paleolithic. Then, with the arrival of the Spaniards, it was introduced in Europe.
Beyond its mild and delicate flavor, zucchini is an unquestionable ally of all those who make diets to lose weight, because they only contain 15 calories per 100 grams. It is ideal!
Also, both the skin and the pulp offer a range of vitamins such as vitamin A (beta carotene), vitamins B group, especially vitamin B9 (folic acid and folates) and vitamins C, E and K.
They also have significant amounts of minerals and trace elements such as potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and copper.
But the zucchini star compound is the combination of two antioxidants found in large quantities such as lutein and zeaxanthin, as well as a flavonoid called rutin.
Although when it is “young” it contains few fibers, when mature the quantity increases.
Do you know why it is ideal for women? According to a clinical study, zucchini salts exert a diuretic effect and when consumed in large quantities, it was found that these women suffered less depression and markedly decreased pelvic pain.
But these are not the only benefits of zucchini, because their properties are beneficial for everyone and for almost everything.
Benefits of zucchini:
1) Cancer Prevention: The zucchini has valuable antioxidants for the organism, as we have detailed previously. These phenolic compounds, carotenes and flavonoids help fight the damaging effects of free radicals and at the same time participate in the prevention of certain types of cancer prevention and cardiovascular diseases.
2) Help to lose weight: This vegetable consists of 95% water and contains fewer calories than tomatoes. It is refreshing, light and contributes to hydration. It only has 15 calories per 100 grams and its glycemic index is equally scarce.
Do not be afraid to eat zucchini without limit, because it does not represent risks for your diet.
3) Hypertension and cholesterol: The high potassium content of the zucchini are very important for cardiovascular health, especially thanks to its vasodilator effect. By increasing the diameter of the blood vessels, the potassium of the zucchini reduces the risks of strokes as well as heart disease.
This vegetable also contains rutin, a phenolic compound of the flavonoid family that protects the cardiovascular system and increases the resistance of the vessels.
So eating zucchini contributes to good blood pressure.
Also, the antioxidant effect of the routine contained in the zucchini helps protect us from bad cholesterol and retard the oxidation process that is the precursor of arteriosclerosis, a factor that predisposes to coronary heart disease.
4) It favors intestinal transit: Vitamins and zucchini fibers favor intestinal transit, but it is important to consume them mature to achieve this effect.
When younger, it is particularly recommended to people who have a delicate digestive system. When mature, the fibers are transformed into insoluble fibers.
Its laxative effect allows a correct cleaning of the colon and reduces the risks of cancer.
5) It is good for the eyes: Lutein and zeaxanthin of zucchini, are its main carotenes and these in turn are found in the lens of the eyes. Zucchini could play a preventive role against macular degeneration linked to age.
To take care of your sight, think about increasing the consumption of zucchini.
A little known use.
Both the zucchini skin and the pulp contain antioxidant properties that benefit the skin.
Cut thin slices of zucchini and place them on your face to favor cell reproduction and improve the quality of the skin.
A recipe easy and fast!
If you decided to start today to enjoy all the benefits of zucchini, we propose this recipe delicious, healthy and very easy to prepare.
The ingredients are for 4 people and it will only take you 10 minutes of preparation and 30 minutes of cooking.
-1 medium onion.
-200 grams of grated Parmesan cheese.
-200 ml of fresh cream.
-1 pinch of cumin.
-Salt and pepper to taste.
-Preheat the oven to 180º
-Wash the zucchini, cut them into thin slices and place them in a bowl.
-Peel and cut the onion in the same way and add also to the bowl.
-In another bowl mix the fresh cream, the egg and the grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well until it is very creamy.
-Pour this preparation into the bowl of zucchini and onions and season with salt and pepper. Finally add the cumin and mix well.
-Place the preparation on an oven tray and cook for 30 minutes.
-You can accompany with a salad of tomatoes and carrots.
You already have the menu for today! Do not forget to share this information with others who may not know the benefits of zucchini.